Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

What does a Project Manager Look Like?

Funny story,

I'm in a room with six other PMs in a worksession environment.  We take a brief chat/break, and one of the PMs shares a perception:

I don't think my new project team thinks I look like a project manager.   Alan, You look like a Project Manager.
How to respond?

First, I choose to take this as a compliment.  Although there is a risk that people perceive me as being scary, or an A**-kicker (which I am not).

The broader question is "What does a PM look like?"  I would like to think that a PM looks like a person - no more, no less.  Perhaps we could generalize and say a PM looks like a well-organized person?  But my first thought is to reject any preconceived image of the ideal project manager (unless it is my picture - look to the right :))

What do you think?  Let us know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment