Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What I've Been Reading: It's Your Ship

I've been "reading" an audiobook version of "It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy" by Captain D. Michael Abrashoff.

I enjoyed this quite a bit.  As with many management books, the points are common sense.  It seems that I need to hear these common sense suggestions over and over to internalize them.

The seven chapter titles gives you a good idea of what you will find in this book:

1.  Take Command;
2.  Lead By Example;
3.  Listen Aggressively
4.  Communicate Purpose and Meaning;
5.  Create a Climate of Trust;
6.  Look for Results, Not Salutes; and,
7.  Take Calculated Risks

The really attractive thing about the book is the collection of stories the author uses to make and reinforce his points.  My favorites include the boat races; party barge; first into port; and radio traffic solution.

It makes me wish I'd chosen the Navy those many years ago :)

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment